Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Drumsticks
Juicy drumsticks marinated and tumbled in our secret dry rub then covered in our award-winning bacon. Great in the oven or the BBQ!
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Garlic and Herb Rub (see recipe below)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 Scotch bonnet chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sambal oelek (or other Asian chile sauce)
- 12 chicken drumsticks, scored right through skin into meat in 3 or 4 places
- 12 slices bacon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) corn syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh herbs, chopped (parsley, sage, rosemary, etc)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Taken from Napoleon’s Everyday Gourmet Grilling.
- Mix together the Garlic and Herb Rub, chipotle, Scotch bonnet and sambal oelek. Lightly score the drumsticks in several places all the way around. Rub the herb and pepper paste liberally into the drumsticks, pushing it into the scored meat. Note: Be very careful handling these hot peppers. If you have gloves, wear them. If not, take care to keep your hands away from sensitive areas like eyes and other places!
- Cover the rubbed chicken legs and refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
- When ready to cook, wrap each drumstick with a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, brown sugar, corn syrup, vinegar, herbs, and Dijon and grainy mustards. Season with salt and pepper. Set about 1/3 of sauce aside. Use the other 2/3 to baste.
- Preheat the grill to medium (350°F/175°C).
- Place the bacon-wrapped drumsticks in the basket.
- Grill the drumsticks, basting liberally with the sauce, until chicken is fully cooked and bacon is crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes a side. If you find the bacon is flaring up, turn one burner off and grill over indirect heat, closing the lid between bastes.
- When done, remove drumsticks from basket and place in a bowl. Pour the reserved sauce over and toss. Serve immediately or refrigerate to serve cold. Goes great with coleslaw, bread and a few cold beverages.
Garlic and Herb Rub
- 2 heads fresh garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 cup (60 mL) your favourite Steak Spice
1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, etc)
1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.