Halenda’s Beet Soup (Borscht)
A traditional Ukrainian favourite comfort food, Borscht is a healthy and nutritious soup that is packed with protein, iron, carotene, vitamin C and potassium. This deep ruby red soup is easy to make and jam packed with flavour. If you have never made borscht before, I recommend wearing gloves when grating your beets.
- 5 medium beets peeled and grated
- 4 tbsp olive oil divided
- 4 cups chicken broth + 6 cups water
- 3 medium yukon potatoes peeled and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large sliced onion
- 2 celery ribs trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 can white cannelini beans with their juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove pressed
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- 3 tbsp butter
- Start by peeling, chopping slicing and dicing all of the vegetables. We recommend that you soak the potatoes in a bowl of cold water to keep them from discoloring until ready to use.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat and add 2 tbsp olive oil. Add grated beets and saute 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beets are softened.
- Add 4 cups broth and 6 cups water. Add sliced potatoes and sliced carrots then cook for 10-15 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
- While potatoes are cooking, place a large skillet over medium heat and add butter. Add chopped onion, celery and pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally until softened and lightly golden. Add tomato sauce and stir fry 30 seconds then transfer to the soup pot to continue cooking potatoes.
- When potatoes and carrots reach desired softness, add 1 can of beans with their juice, 2 bay leaves, 2 tbsp white vinegar, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, 1 pressed garlic clove and 3 tbsp chopped dill. Simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes and add more salt and vinegar to taste.
- Spoon into bowl and add a dollop of sour cream
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.