Blue Cheese Crusted Steaks with Red Wine Sauce
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) chilled butter
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup low-salt beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup coarsely crumbled Maytag blue cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 4 1-inch-thick filet mignon steaks (each 6 to 8 ounces)
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, shallot, and thyme. Sauté until shallot is tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth and wine. Boil until sauce is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 12 minutes. Set sauce aside.
- Blend cheese, panko, and parsley in small bowl to coat cheese evenly with panko.
(Sauce and cheese mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately and chill.)
- Preheat broiler.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper.
- Add steaks to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Transfer steaks to rimmed baking sheet; reserve skillet.
- Press cheese mixture onto top of steaks, dividing equally.
- Broil until cheese browns, about 2 minutes. Transfer steaks to plates.
- Pour sauce into reserved skillet. Bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Boil 2 minutes. Whisk in remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce around steaks and serve.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.