The Ultimate Canadian Brussel Sprouts
These ultimate brussel sprouts are loaded with the ultimate Canadian ingredients in this festive holiday side. Your kids and those meat and potato relatives will have a hard time avoiding this delicious dish. The perfect mix of greens, maple, mustard beer and of course our award-winning bacon!
This recipe has been shared from Canadian living.
- 1 ¼ lb(s) Brussels sprouts, tough ends removed and halved
- 4 slices of Halenda’s award-winning bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup beer (preferably dark ale, but your favourite brew will do!)
- 2 Tbsp local grainy mustard
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup fresh panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
2. In a small bowl, combine beer, mustard, maple syrup and salt.
3. On a large cast iron pan or high-sided skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
4. In the same pan or skillet over medium heat, sear sprouts cut side-down until golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Stir in prepared beer mixture and bacon. Transfer skillet to the oven and roast until sprouts are tender and liquid has reduced, about 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, melt bacon fat or butter. Stir in panko and toast until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
6. Transfer sprouts to a large serving platter or bowl and sprinkle with toasted panko. Serve.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.