Halenda’s Ukrainian Style Cabbage Rolls
Served at almost every special Ukrainian meal, cabbage rolls are delicious mix of tomato and cabbage. This comfort food can be tricky to make as many have found the rolling process to be a bit challenging. If you aren’t up to the challenge pick up our ready to heat and eat cabbage rolls made in house from our chef. With a bit of practice and some patience, you will be rolling rice and cabbage like a true ukrainian babba.
- 3 cups short grain rice
- 6 cups of water
- ¾ cups of margarine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 can tomato soup
- 2 heads cabbage (boiled and sectioned)
- ¼ lb bacon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Serves 4
- Boil cabbage head in large pot. Peel off top layer and discard. Peel off leaves layer by layer while cabbage is in the water. Cool the cabbage leaves on a cookie sheet.
- Bring 6 cups of water, ¼ cup of margarine and your 3 cups of rice to boil and simmer until cooked
- While the rice is cooking, brown your ground beef with ¾ cup of the chopped onion.
- Heat skillet and begin cooking bacon.
- Mix ground beef, onions and rice and set aside.
- Mix tomato soup with water and set aside.
- Heat skillet and melt butter. Add remaining ¼ of onion, chopped. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cover large casserole with aluminum foil and dish tomato soup and bacon evenly on the bottom of the dish. Use about ½ of the mixture.
- Take the cabbage leaf and lay it flat. Take a small spoonful of rice and beef mixture and place it on the top ⅓ of the cabbage leaf. Begin to fold the edges over the mixture. Shape and roll the leaf pushing the mixture to the bottom.
- Tuck in both edges of the cabbage roll and place in your casserole dish. Add more tomato and bacon mixture on top of cabbage roll layer.
- Pour onions over cabbage rolls
- Cover casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake in over for 3 hours or until cabbage rolls are soft.
You can also freeze your cabbage rolls and cook them at a later date.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.