Ontario Apple Cranberry and Leek Sausage Stuffing
If you are BBQing your bird you don’t have to miss out on stuffing. This is the ultimate sausage side stuffing! Savory leek flavored sausage, french bread, sweet cranberries, toasted pecans, crisp Ontario apples tossed in an incredible white wine, butter, and herb sauce. Baked until perfectly crispy on top and soft and tender underneath!
- 1 loaf French bread cubed
- 1 cup thawed cranberries
- 1 medium Ontario apple peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs Halenda’s Macedonian leek sausage, browned
- 1/2 cup yellow onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh sage finely chopped and divided
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 cup dry Chardonnay
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet (or two medium sized ones) with parchment paper. Spread cubed French bread out on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or so, until golden brown.
- Add bread to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat a small drizzle of oil in a skillet over MED heat. Add Halenda’s Macedonian sausage and cook until cooked through and lightly browned. Be sure to break up the meat with a potato masher to get fine crumbles.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the sausage from the skillet and add it to the bowl with the toasted bread. Also add in the cranberries, diced apples, and pecans.
- Drain all but a few tablespoons of the bacon and sausage drippings and add in the onions. Saute until soft and translucent, add in herbs and stir to combine.
- Cook another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the large mixing bowl.
- Carefully pour in the wine, being sure to use your wooden spoon to get all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook the wine for 1 minute.
- Add in butter and chicken stock and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour sauce into large mixing bowl, toss to combine.
- Add lightly beaten eggs and toss to combine again.
- Butter or grease a 9×13″ baking pan and pour in the stuffing.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Garnish with additional fresh herbs and serve.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.