Easy Homemade Bolognese Sauce
This recipe is an Italian classic and despite what you think, super easy to make. This is a one-pot sauce recipe that is perfect for a hearty dinner. I mean, who doesn’t love meat sauce? And nothing can compare to homemade bolognese. Store-bought just doesn’t do the trick and with how easy this recipe is, you will never have bolognese another way again.
What is Bolognese sauce?
It is a rich, zesty sauce with beef, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, tomato sauce, heavy cream and seasonings that are simmered on the stove until thick and creamy. Toss this with pappardelle pasta or your favourite pasta for a delicious meal for any day of the week!
All of these ingredients are what make it a true bolognese sauce and should be followed as closely to the recipe as possible. The only additions that we suggest you make, is choosing your favourite type of pasta and you can choose the type of meat you prefer. Some people do a mixture of beef, pork and ground veal. We used just beef in this recipe because we wanted our Halenda’s Meats lean ground beef to shine, and it did just that.
For the pasta, we went with pappardelle because it’s the most typical choice, but the world is yours and this sauce will taste great on any type of pasta!
Pro tip: you can also use this sauce to make a delicious lasagna!
The best way to cook your sauce is in one pot. A large pot will do, or a Le Creuset pot is always a go-to option. Make sure the pot is large enough for all the ingredients to fit in nicely and with plenty of room at the top to avoid any unwanted spillage.
When you have added all of your ingredients, it’s time to simmer. The longer the better is the way to go. You want to try and get at least 2 hours of simmering time to get the perfect flavour and texture.
Can you store leftover bolognese?
Of course, this is why this sauce is so amazing! You can make a larger portion and save some for later in the week or even freeze it.
If you are storing it in the fridge, it will typically last up to 4-5 days in an air-tight container.
For the freezer, it’s just as easy. Freeze it for up to 3 months in a sealed container. It’s good to leave around an inch of space because of expansion, or a freezer bag works just as good. Then allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight when you are ready to use it, and voila, another dinner with your homemade meat sauce!
Homemade Bolognese Sauce
- 2 Pounds Halenda's Meats Lean Ground Beef
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Stock Celery
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Cup Red Wine
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 4 Gloves Garlic
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 L Tomato Puree or whole tomatoes and puree them
- 1 Can Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- Pappardelle or another long pasta for serving
- Heat a large pot or a Le Creuset on medium heat and drizzle in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add in onions, celery, carrots, salt and pepper. Stir well and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Now add in your lean ground beef from Halenda's Meats. Stir very well and make sure all ingredients are fully combined.
- Once stirred, add in red wine, fresh garlic, heavy cream and tomato paste, and mix well again! The key is to always mix well to make sure all the ingredients are properly combined.
- Allow to cook for 3 minutes and add in your tomato puree, oregano, bay leaves and salt. Of course, mix well again.
- Now it's time to let the sauce work its magic. Cook on a low simmer for as long as you can. We like to cook it for at least 2 hours.
- Once you're ready to eat, cook pappardelle or another long pasta and add your sauce and you're done!