French Onion Soup
It’s just your classic, traditional French onion soup. With the most perfect caramelized onions in a cozy stock with fresh thyme, finished off with crusty baguette slices and Gruyere cheese melted on top.
makes 4 to 6 servings
cooking time: 4 -6 hours
- 1/2 lb butter
- 10 large onions, peeled, cored and thinly sliced with the grain
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup Cognac or brandy
- 1 sachet of thyme, rosemary, black peppercorns and bay leaves
- 3 L dark chicken stock
- Toasted slices of croissant or baguette
- Shredded Gruyère
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions, stir and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Lower heat and continue cooking, stirring regularly, until the onions completely caramelized.
- When the onions have caramelized, stir in the tomato paste and cook for at least 30
- Pour in the red wine and Cognac or brandy, and toss in the sachet. Reduce mixture to one third.
- Add the stock and allow to simmer for one hour.
7. Remove from heat, allow to cool and chill overnight.
8. To serve, reheat the soup gently, add a splash of brandy, taste, and adjust seasonings. Serve in oven-proof bowls. Top each serving with toasted croissant slices and Gruyère. Place under broiler until cheese is melted and browned.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.