NICK’S GRANDMA’S PRESERVED GREENS AND PORK BELLY
- 2 pounds|880 grams pork belly, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- 1 pound|470 grams (2-inch) pork ribs, cut into individual ribs
- 1 pound|450 grams pork shoulder, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons|125 grams black bean sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 (10 ounce|300 grams) pack pickled sour mustard greens, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup|250 ml chicken broth
- rice, for serving
- In a large saucepan, cover the pork belly, ribs, and shoulder with 2 cups|500 ml water and bring to a boil. Stir in the black bean sauce and soy sauce, reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until the liquid has reduced to a thick syrup, about 30 minutes (as my grandma would say, “You know it’s ready when it starts to sizzle when you stir it”).
- Add in the chicken broth, reduce the heat to medium, and cover. Simmer until the pork is tender, about 1 hour. Stir in the mustard greens and cook for 5 minutes longer. Serve with rice.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.