Ground Beef Meat Pie
Simply put, this ground beef meat pie is delicious. This dish is made with all your favourite comfort food ingredients like puff pastry, ground beef, potatoes, onions and carrots! This is such a fun dish to make and perfect for the whole family! This meat pie seems daunting to make, but if you just follow these steps, we are sure you will make the perfect meat pie for all the hungry mouths you feed!
Halenda’s Meat’s lean ground beef is ground fresh daily! You can taste the difference between prepackaged & freshly ground and that is what makes this recipe so special.
In The Crust We Trust!
For this recipe, you can either use a store-bought pie crust or chose to make your own homemade crust! We chose to make our own and we highly recommend it!
The pie crust shouldn’t get soggy from the juicy meat fillings. The goal is to make sure the crust is light enough to flake and get that beautiful golden crust.
To make a homemade crust, all you need is flour, salt, 1 pack of Tender Flake Lard, an egg, white vinegar and cold water. Start by adding your flour to a medium/large size bowl. Add in your salt, and tender flake lard and mix it with a pastry cutter or your hands. Once it is fully combined, in a measuring cup, add egg, vinegar and add 1 cup of cold water. Stir until mixed and add that to your flour mixture.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Meat Pie!
- Use high-quality lean ground beef! This will help bring out all the amazing flavours in your pie.
- Don’t forget the gravy! We just used a package, and it was the perfect addition!
- It is crucial you let your meat rest before filling your pie. If the meat pie filling is too hot, it will ruin your beautiful crust.
- Shred your carrots and potatoes, do not cut or dice! This is a huge game changer for how they cook through and the overall texture.
- When making your crust, DO NOT pour all the egg, vinegar and cold water mixture in all at once. You want to slowly pour it into your dough as you mix it so you can gauge the stickiness. Sometimes you may have to not use all the water mixture.
Did You Love Our Meat Pie Recipe?
Ground Beef Meat Pie Recipe
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Medium Potatoes, peeled and grated
- 2 Carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 5 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Tenderflake
- 1 Egg lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- 1 Cup Cold Water
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Pack Gravy Follow package instructions
- Heat butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Once the butter starts to sizzle, add in your onions, garlic, parsley and ground beef.
- Stir well and cook for about 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Add in your potatoes, carrots, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Stir until evenly distributed and cooked through. Usually about 2-3 minutes.
- Once your mixture is almost done, stir in breadcrumbs until fully combined.
- Remove from pan and add into a bowl. Let your meat filling sit for approximately 1 hour before adding it to your pie crust.
Assembling and Baking the Meat Pie
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Remove your dough from the fridge and roll out 2 doughs to fit your 9-inch pie pan.
- After your meat has sat for 1 hour, add your filling to the dough on your pie pan.
- Carefully place the second rolled-out dough over the meat filling as the top pie crust. Make sure it covers the pie pan entirely.
- Gently press the edges of the top crust and the edges of the bottom crust together to ensure the pie is sealed.
- Make slits on top of the pie for ventilation.
- Now brush egg wash over the top and edges of your pie crust.
- Bake the pie for approximately 20 minutes or until the edges of the pie crust turn golden brown.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for another 40 minutes or until the rest of the top crust is golden brown.
- Remove the meat pie pan from the oven and let cool at room temperature for 20 minutes or until you can't wait anymore!
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.