Reuben Sandwich with Halenda’s Own Corn Beef
Got a hankering for a Reuben sandwich? We can help with that.
But first, what is a Reuben sandwich?
A Reuben sandwich is simple: Corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing. We sell all those ingredients at our stores.
As for the origins of the Reuben sandwich, there are different stories floating around the internet.
Wikipedia and its source point to the story of Reuben Kulakofsky, a Lithuanian Jew living in Omaha, Nebraska. In this version of the story, Kulakofsky, a grocer, created the sandwich in 1925 to feed his poker buddies at the Blackstone Hotel. Charles Schimmel, the hotel’s owner, added it to the hotel restaurant menu and named it after Kulakofsky. A waitress at the Blackstone entered the Reuben sandwich in a national sandwich competetion in 1956 and won.
Another origin story is that the sandwich was created by Arnold Reuben, the German-Jewish owner of Reuben’s Delicatessen in New York City.
Now, on with the recipe.
For one sandwich
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 slices of rye bread
- 2 or more slices of Halenda’s Corn Beef
- 2 (or more) slices of Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 2 Tablespoons (or to taste) Russian dressing or Thousand Island dressing
- Preheat a large skillet or griddle on medium heat. (Or turn on your panini press or George Foreman grill)
- Lightly butter one side of bread slices. Spread non-buttered sides with dressing.
- On your bottom piece of rye bread layer 1 slice (or more) Swiss cheese, 2 slices (or more) corned beef, 1/4 cup sauerkraut and second slice of Swiss cheese. Top with remaining bread slices, buttered sides out.
- Grill sandwiches until both sides are golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Serve hot.
- Add as much cheese and meat as you like, but remember that too much sauerkraut could make for a soggy sandwich!
- If you’re camping you can wrap sandwiches in foil and cook them over coals.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.