Korean-style short ribs on the BBQ
Korean-style short ribs on the BBQ are the perfect dish this BBQ season! The marinade made with soy sauce, white vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar, salt, fresh garlic, red onion, and water is a classic blend of ingredients commonly used in Korean cuisine. The soy sauce provides a savoury umami flavour, while the white vinegar adds a tangy note and the brown sugar adds a touch of sweetness.
The fresh garlic and red onion add depth of flavour and a hint of spiciness to the marinade, which is balanced out by the water to create a well-rounded sauce.
Sesame oil is a popular ingredient in Korean cuisine and adds a nutty and aromatic flavour to the marinade. It helps to balance out the sweetness of the brown sugar and adds depth of flavour to the overall dish.
When grilled on the BBQ, these short ribs develop a delicious charred crust while remaining tender and juicy on the inside. The Korean-style marinade infuses the meat with its robust flavours, making each bite a mouthwatering experience. This dish is perfect for sharing with friends or family at a summer BBQ or for a special occasion.
Korean-style short ribs, also known as Galbi or Kalbi, are typically cut across the bone into thin, rectangular strips. Head on over to your local Halenda’s Meats and just ask one of our butchers to cut your short ribs Korean style and they will take it from there!
Buying meat from a butcher shop like Halenda’s Meats has several perks, especially when it comes to customization. One of the biggest advantages is the ability to choose exactly how you want your meat cut. Unlike grocery stores, which often have pre-packaged cuts of meat, a butcher shop allows you to select the size, thickness, and type of cut that you prefer. This gives you greater control over the final product and can lead to a more satisfying culinary experience.
Another benefit of buying meat from a butcher shop is the quality of the meat. Butchers at Halenda’s Meats are highly skilled professionals who take pride in their craft and source their meat from trusted suppliers. This means that the meat is fresher, of higher quality, and may be sourced from local farms. Additionally, our butchers can offer expert advice on different cuts of meat, cooking methods, and flavour pairings, helping you make informed decisions about your purchase.
KOREAN-STYLE SHORT RIBS ON THE BBQ
- 4 Halenda's Meats Short Ribs Cut Korean Style
- 3/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 3 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Large Onion, Minced
- 1/4 Cup Minced Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Pepper
- Pour soy sauce, water, vinegar, sesame oil, onion, garlic, brown sugar, white sugar, and pepper into a large bowl. Start whisking until sugars dissolve.
- Add short ribs to the marinade, cover the bowl and refrigerate. The longer you leave it to marinate the better. Overnight is the best option, but leave for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Preheat your BBQ to medium-high heat.
- Remove short ribs from the marinade and shake off the excess marinade before putting them on the grill.
- Cook for 15 minutes a side until the meat is not pink. The cooking time may vary depending on how thick the short ribs are cut.
- Enjoy with your favourite sides!
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.