Halenda’s Mushroom Gravy (Pidpenky)
This unique mushroom gravy is another must have on your Ukrainian Christmas Dinner table. The rich mushroom aroma will have you nostalgic for babba’s home cooking. Pour it over fresh cabbage rolls, pierogis or eat it by the spoonful.
- ¼ lb. dried boletus or porcini mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. approx. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. approx. garlic butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp. Worchester sauce
- dash of thyme
- Rinse dried mushrooms well and clean if necessary. Place in a saucepan and cover with 1 ½ cups water. Bring to a boil. Skim if needed. Simmer until tender about 1 ½ hours. Do not allow to run dry. Add more water if necessary. Drain and reserve liquid.
- Allow mushrooms to cool. Chop them up finely and set aside.
- Brown flour in fry pan, stirring constantly to avoid scorching. When flour is a medium to dark colour, remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Rinse, and then wipe fresh mushrooms with paper towel: trim stems, slice and chop into medium-sized pieces.
- In a large fry pan, sauté onions in oil and garlic butter until soft. Add minced garlic and fresh mushrooms. Sauté over medium heat about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped dried mushrooms and cook until golden in colour. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle browned flour over mushrooms. Stir.
- Gradually, stir in the reserved mushroom liquid, stirring and cooking until all the liquid has been added. Cook until the desired thickness has been achieved.
- Stir in sour cream. Add Worchester sauce, thyme and additional seasoning.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.