Prime Rib with Horseradish Sauce
- 1 prime rib roast (about 5 lb/2.2 kg), at room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) 100% Pure Safflower Oil
- ground Sea Salt & freshly ground black peppercorns
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Prepared Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Rub roast with oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper mix.
- Place roast, bone side down, in roasting pan.
- Roast in centre of oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Brush roast with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of mustard and return to oven. Roast for 70 minutes longer for rare or until meat thermometer registers 135°F (57°C). [For medium, roast 85 minutes longer or until meat thermometer registers 155°F (68°C)].
- Tent with foil; let stand for 20 minutes before serving or until internal temperature rises 5°F (2°C).
Meanwhile, make sauce:
- In frying pan, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook shallots until softened but not browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in white wine; cook until wine is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and remaining mustard; cook until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in horseradish sauce.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.