Red Wine Beef Braised Short Ribs
This recipe will leave you feeling like you are eating at one of your favourite fine dining restaurants. When cooking with beef short ribs, the best way is always slow and steady. Cooking the meat at a lower temperature for longer, cooks the meat gently, which gives you more juicy and tender meat.
The meat used in this recipe is our beef short ribs! At Halenda’s, we cut to ensure there is extra meat left so there is even more to fall off the bone when you cook them!
Why Choose Halenda’s
Halenda’s Meats is a family-owned butcher shop located around the GTA. Our award-winning meats and amazing customer service will prove to you that Halenda’s should be your new go-to meat store. Check out one of our many locations today!
The Secret Sauce
These Red Wine Braised Short Ribs are cooked slowly in a wine sauce that is infused with garlic, rosemary, bay leaves, chicken broth, carrots, celery, onions and of course red wine until they fall apart right in front of you! We served our ribs alongside garlic mashed potatoes and string beans. You can also pair this with polenta, pasta or even risotto, whatever you are feeling that day. Either way, this recipe will not disappoint!
We decided to use a dutch oven to cook with, but this recipe will also be just as amazing in a slow cooker. The motto of this recipe is slow and steady wins the race.
When making the sauce keep in mind that your goal is to create a thick and creamy sauce, almost like a gravy. When dicing your carrots, celery and onion, we like to finely chop them, around 1 cm in diameter. This allows for the vegetables to be perfectly cooked and release all their favours. When simmering, try to reduce the wine sauce by at least half to ensure it gets to the consistency you want.
There is no need to allow the short ribs to rest, serve immediately and enjoy this delicious comforting meal.
In the case that you have leftovers, which is very unlikely, you can store both the sauce and the short ribs in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
Did you make this recipe?
Beef Braised Short Ribs
- Dutch Oven
- 4 Beef Short Ribs
- 2 Large Carrots
- 2 Sticks Celery
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Sprig Rosemary
- 2 Cups Wine
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Tomato Paste
- Salt & Pepper
- Lay short ribs on a pan or plate and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- On your stovetop, set your dutch oven on medium/high heat and add 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Place your short ribs in your dutch oven to sear.
- Allow them to sear on one side for approx. 3 minutes and flip.
- Once both sides are perfectly seared, remove them from the dutch oven.
- Now add in your onion, garlic, carrots, celery and a little more olive oil if needed.
- Season this mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Now add in your tomato paste, wine, chicken broth, rosemary and bay leaves.
- Add your short ribs back into the dutch oven and bring them to a bubble.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees and put your dutch oven directly into the oven.
- Allow to cook for approx. 3.5 hours or until the meat can be pulled apart easily with a fork.
- Once finished, remove your meat and strain your wine reduction sauce.
- Add wine reduction sauce to a pot, allow to simmer and reduce by half.
- Serve immediately and ENJOY!
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.