Sausage and Veggie Stuffed Pita
This is the sausage dinner you have been waiting for! If you are looking for a dinner recipe that the whole family will love, this will be your go-to weekly dinner meal. This recipe can be done on the BBQ or in the oven, so it is perfect all year round.
Here is what you need on your grocery list. First, the secret ingredient is our Craft Beer and Cheddar sausage. This is the key ingredient that brings this recipe over the top. This award-winning Sausage was developed by Halenda’s & Ted Reader. It is made from fresh Ontario pork, with cheddar cheese and a hint of craft beer.
You can drop by your local Halenda’s to pick up these delicious sausages!
How to cook your ingredients
To get dinner started, all you need is a bag of peppers, onions, a jar of pickled saurkraut and some pita bread and you are ready to go!
To cook this dinner to perfection, you just have to keep a couple of things in mind!
- Wash your saurkraut: this allows you to take off the pickled flavour on the saukraut so you can flavour it with butter, salt and pepper. The longer you wash it the better!
- Do not undercook your peppers: The last thing you want is to bite into half-cooked crunchy peppers. You want to get a nice char and they should be tender.
Now it’s time to assemble. First add the dijon and any other condiments you want, like hot sauce or mayo. Then add on the sausage, saurkraut with onions and peppers. Viola, dinner is served. You can also make a side salad with oil, balsamic vinegar and honey!
Did you give this recipe a try?
Sausage and Veggie Pita Sandwich
- 1 Pack Halenda's Craft Beer and Cheddar Sausages
- 1 Jar Pickled Saurkraut
- 2 Yellow Onions
- 6 Assorted Peppers
- 6 Thick Pita Bread
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- Pinch Salt and Pepepr
- Start by caramelizing your onions until tender and golden brown.
- While your onions are cooking, put your saurkraut into a strainer and wash with water. This is important because it takes off some of the pickled flavour on the saurkraut. It is up to your preference on how much you wash off.
- Once your onions are done, add in the saurkraut and butter and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and cook until the saurkraut is heated and gets a nice golden crust.
- While you are preparing your saurkraut, heat up the BBQ or preheat your oven to 375
- If you are using the oven, cut our sausages up to bite-sized pieces and place your peppers on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes. Make sure you flip and stir the sausages and peppers as they cook!
- If you are using the BBQ, and put your peppers and sausage on the grill and cook them to perfection. This should take 10 to 15 minutes depending on their thickness.
- Remove and start creating your delicious pita sandwich.
- Spread the mustard on your pita and add saurkraut, peppers and your sausage.
- Feel free to add any other condiments that you want like hot sauce or mayo!
- and ENJOY!
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.