Slow-Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 8 hr 15 min
- 4 Servings
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 3 -to-4-pound boneless pork shoulder butt, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 potato buns
- Barbecue sauce and prepared coleslaw, for serving
- Combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar, the paprika, mustard powder, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet; add the pork and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, 5 minutes. Remove the pork and transfer to a plate; whisk 3/4 cup water into the drippings in the skillet. Transfer the liquid to a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the vinegar, tomato paste, the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 cups water to the slow cooker and whisk to combine. Add the pork, cover and cook on low, 8 hours.
- Remove the pork and transfer to a cutting board. Strain the liquid into a saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Roughly chop the pork and mix in a bowl with 1 cup of the reduced cooking liquid, and salt and vinegar to taste. Serve on buns with barbecue sauce and coleslaw.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.