Spicy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 6 portobello mushrooms, caps, gills removed with a spoon
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, spicy, casings removed
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, sweet, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for cooking
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Italian- seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat add enough olive oil to coat the pan. Once it is hot add the sausage.
- Cook until it is browned, constantly breaking it up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon or tongs as you cook it.
- Drain off the fat and transfer the cooked meat to a bowl and cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the bread crumbs, half of the Parmesan cheese and egg to the cooked sausage mixture.
- Lightly brush the portobelllo’s with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Space them out evenly on a sheet pan. Top each with even amounts of the sausage stuffing.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan on top. Place the tray back under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.