These are all-beef, but you could use a combination of beef and pork. Serve with pasta noodles, spaghetti squash, on a sandwich.
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon beef base and 1 cup water or 1 can condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup sour cream
- Soak bread crumbs in milk until softened.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan or skillet and saute onion over low heat until softened.
- Mix softened bread crumbs, cooked onion and ground beef.
- Add eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and paprika.
- Mix thoroughly until well blended. Shape meat into small balls, dusting hands with flour frequently while shaping the balls.
- Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in large skillet. Add meatballs and fry until browned, turning carefully to brown all sides.
- Remove from pan, pour off all but about 3 tablespoons of drippings, then stir 3 tablespoons of flour into the remaining drippings.
- Stir until well blended.
- Add beef broth, and a dash of pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream, a little at a time, stirring until thoroughly blended after each addition.
- Return meatballs to sauce; cover pan and simmer gently 5 minutes.
Makes about 6 dozen meatballs.
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.