Tomahawk Steak with Roasted Garlic Butter
Grilling a high-quality piece of meat, like a tomahawk steak, can be nerve-racking. What if I make a mistake? What if I overcook it? Don’t worry, we have made a simple and easy recipe so you can enjoy a perfectly cooked tomahawk steak right from the comfort of your own home! We are going to give you a step-by-step guide and a detailed video to help you feel like a pro. Let’s jump right in!
How Should I Cook A Tomahawk Steak?
This versatile piece of meat can be cooked in a variety of different ways and all of them will give you that tomahawk experience you are looking for. You can cook your tomahawk steak entirely on the grill, (which is our preference) or grill and oven, or skip the grill and use a cast-iron skillet.
In this recipe, we decide to do everything on the grill.
Not sure where to find a tomahawk steak? Stop by one of our Halenda’s Meats locations and we will hook you up with a high-quality tomahawk steak at an affordable price.
When cooking a steak, especially a high-quality piece of meat like a tomahawk steak, it is crucial to figure out how you prefer your steak cooked. In this recipe, we were shooting for a mid-rare cook.
It’s important to remember that your meat continues to cook once it is removed. That is why it’s good to remove your steak 5 degrees before your preferred temperature. Take a look at this chart below to see your preferred degree of doneness.
Preparing Your Roasted Garlic Butter
This is an optional, but important part of this recipe. Eating a tomahawk steak on its own is delicious, but adding this roasted garlic butter will enhance this dish tenfold. It’s easy to make and gives you something to do while you are patiently waiting for the steak to rest.
The key here is to get your clove of garlic wrapped and in the oven before you start preparing your steak. The longer the garlic can roast, the better!
Once your garlic is done and cooled off a little, you should be able to squeeze the garlic right out into a pan. Now is when you will add in your butter and rosemary and salt of course, and boom, it’s been around 5-10minutes and you can pour this hot butter right over your sliced steak.
What to Eat With a Tomahawk Steak?
You want the steak to be the star of the show, and it always is! You don’t want anything too heavy, so we made roasted sweet potatoes, roasted peppers and a big salad! That’s all. It was the perfect pairing of flavour and the ingredients added a burst of colour to the plate.
Did you give this recipe a try?
Let us know how it turned out and tag us on Instagram or Facebook!
Tomahawk Steak With Roasted Garlic Butter
- 1 Tomahawk steak
- Salt (Coarse)
Roasted Garlic Butter
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Sprig Rosemary
- 4 Tbsp Salted Butter
- Salt & Pepper
- Heat your BBQ to its highest heat or in the searing range.
- Season your steak generously on all sides with salt and pepper. Don't be shy with the salt!
- Sear your tomahawk steak for about 3-4 on each side. Don't worry about the flames, it's all part of the process. You can use a meat thermometer to ensure you reach your desired temperature.
- Allow steak to rest for at least 5-10 minutes
- Slice and pour your roasted garlic butter all over and ENJOY!
Roasted Garlic Butter
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Cut the top of your garlic clove off and drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil.
- Then, put it directly into the oven and allow it to cook while you prepare your steak.
- Once your steak is out and resting, add your roasted garlic to a pan with butter and rosemary. Stir and allow to simmer. Season it with salt and that's it!
- Pour over your steak and ENJOY!