Ukrainian Kobassa Kapusta
If you like Kobassa and sauerkraut, this super easy recipe was made for you! There are many variations of this dish. You can add different spices, like fennel seeds, meats and even add mushrooms or potatoes. For this recipe, we went as simple as possible, but this dish did not disappoint!
If you are on the edge about sauerkraut, this would be a great dish to try. Halenda’s Meats award-winning Kobassa really comes to play during this recipe and enhances the sauerkraut’s flavours.
This dish is all done in one pan and only has 4 major ingredients: Sauerkraut, Halenda’s Meats Kobassa, onion and butter. These 4 ingredients work off each other perfectly, and gives you a hearty, mouth-watering dish that keeps you coming back for more!
Before we get started, we want to give you a little tip, make sure you wash your sauerkraut thoroughly. This is the key to the perfect Kobassa Kapusta dish. Washing away the majority of the vinegar flavour allows for the sauerkraut to absorb the caramelized onion and the Kobassa flavours.
As the horrific war in Ukraine carries into the Ukrainian and Orthodox Easter season, we want to shine a spotlight on the Ukrainian Easter tradition of decorating eggs, known as Pysanky. Now more than ever, it is important to highlight such meaningful traditions.
As some of you may know, Halenda’s Meats originated 65 years ago with Richard’s father, Michael Halenda, who immigrated to Canada from Ukraine. Many of Halenda’s products were inspired by Ukrainian recipes. This Ukrainian inspiration is what has made Halenda’s a successful family-run business since 1979!
Together with our Halenda’s community, we have raised over $45,000 and the amount is still rising! To Support “The Friends of Ukraine Defence Forces”, visit one of our Halenda’s Meats locations across the GTA and donate at the till!
WE STAND WITH UKRAINE!💙💛
Now, let’s get started with creating this delicious, Ukrainian Kobassa Kapusta!
Ukrainian Kobassa Kapusta
- 1 lb Halenda’s Meats Award Winning Kobassa
- 1 l Sauerkraut (Homemade or Store-bought)
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Salted Butter
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Peel the casing off your kobassa and cut it into pie-shaped slices.
- Next, dice your onion and place it in a bowl
- Heat up your pan with approx. 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Once hot, add in your onions and sauté until translucent and slightly brown. Do not overcook your onions!
- Now it’s time to add in the kobassa! Cook on medium heat until they form a beautiful golden-brown crust
- As your kobassa is cooking, rinse your sauerkraut thoroughly and pat dry. The key is to remove the majority of the vinegar and get it as dry as possible
- When your kobassa turns golden brown, add in your sauerkraut and stir
- Once combined, add in 2 tablespoons of salted butter
- Allow to cook on medium-low heat for 5-8 minutes
- Serve and ENJOY!