Wheat Berry Pudding Kutia
Kutia is always served as the first of the twelve traditional meatless dishes during Christmas Eve. Served cold, Kutia is essentially a sweet wheat soup. A mixture of wheat, poppy seeds, honey and nuts. Customize your kutia with a mixture of berries, raisins and dry fruit.
- 1 pint (2 cups) cooked wheat
- 11-12 cups water (to boil wheat)
- 6 tablespoons ground poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 blackberries
- Dry wheat in the oven at 205F for an 1 hour, stir occasionally. Wash and soak in cold water overnight. Next morning, bring wheat to boiling point in 11-12 cups of water, simmer 3-4 hours, (or more) until kernels burst open.
- To prepare the poppy seeds, boil the poppy seeds, simmer 3-5 minutes. Drain and grind twice using the finest blade of food chopper.
- Add ground poppy seeds to wheat.
- Combine honey and hot water. Add to wheat.
- Add your roughly chopped pecans.
- Serve and enjoy!
Discover Hand-Picked Recipes
Browse Halenda’s hand-picked recipes to pair with our award-winning meats & specialities to create for your family.